Church of Santa Eufemia
Puntos de interés > Iglesia de Santa Eufemia
This is Bermeo’s oldest church. It’s claim to fame is being the church where the lordship swore to uphold the fueros, traditional code of laws granting sovereignty.
Masses: daily at 12, holidays at 13:00
The Santa Eufemia was originally constructed sometime during the XIII century and then reconstructed towards the end of the XV century. Located between the ports of Bermeo, it’s known as the “church of the port”.
We can see examples of the gothic architectural style while observing the windows, doors and rib vaulted ceiling. The church has only one nave, with the choir at one end and the polygonal apse in the front, along with two lateral chapels. Next to the second chapel on the right hand side we have the tomb of the Mendoza family. This tomb previously was the tomb of the Aroztegi family. It was built in the blooming era of gothic architecture. It’s tower was erected in 1783 with one cupola and decorative finials, following the design made by master Gabriel Kapelastegi.
It’s claim to fame is being the church where the lordship swore to uphold the fueros, traditional code of laws granting sovereignty. San Emeterio, San Celedonio in Goikoelexea, Larrabetzu and the Andra Mari church in Gernika are the other churches in which the fueros had to be signed by the lordship of Biscay.
In 1995 the church was declared a Historical Artistic Monument.